Saturday, July 27, 2013

Shepherd Center Part 1

On May 16, 2012 after 3 weeks in STICU at NHRMC I was airlifted to The Shepherd Center,  the TOP SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) Rehab hospital in the nation, located in Atlanta.  I am so thankful to my doctors at New Hanover for referring me here.  This was a life changing experience.

When I arrived it was later that night.   I was evaluated and it was decided that I still needed to be in ICU.  I stayed in ICU another week where a blood clot was discovered in my right arm.   Immediately I was placed on a high dosage of blood thinners which accompanied my other concoction of medicine.  ICU was scarry for me.  I was used to having at least one if not both of my parents with me around the clock,  and they were not allowed to spend the night.  I had an amazing ICU nurse named Beverly!

I was transferred to a regular room the day before my 26th birthday.   This was one of the hardest birthdays.   I was having to deal with a new life while letting go of most of my old life.   I did get good news though... the next weekend I was going to get visitors!   My Gimma, my Aunt Wanda,  Amanda, & Andy were making the 6 hour trip to Atlanta to see me and we were going to have me a small birthday party. But...yes, there is always a but... the day before they arrived my parents had the worst job... they had to tell me that my PaPa had passed away on A May 9th.  I was crushed.  I was PaPa's girl.  I was angry at my parents and my husband for not telling me immediately.   Later, I realized it was for the best.   I had a great weekend with my family was the first normalcy I had had since the accident.  

When I was moved to to a regular room I was on the fifth floor in room 527 now known as the "Coffman room."  I was introduced to my medical and rehab team which was Team Bilsky which consisted of
Dr. Gerald Bilsky, his PA Darvin Foo, my PT Megan, and my OT Ginger.   I saw these 4 people 5-6 days a week from 8am-4pm.  They pushed me hard!  Many of you that know me know that I am very strong willed, very out spoken,  and if I don't want to do it then I don't.   They did not put up with that.   I hated them for that at the time, but now I am so grateful for them pushing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment